Well its easy when you right-click the event receiver in VS2010 and click DEPLOY, oh how easy that makes things, butt what if you need to deploy that event receiver on another server. Good luck with that.
Anyway, along the way, I eventually managed to do it, not without some pitfalls. Here I describe a method that worked for me.
1. Create event receiver in VS2010
2. Right-click event receiver and click PACKAGE, the WSP file will be created in either your debug/release folder in your bin directory.
3. Copy WSP file to new server.
4. Open SharePoint Powershell
5. Run the following commands
6. Add-SPSolution -LiteralPath "path to wsp file\EventReceiverProject.wsp", you can check if it was installed using: Get-SPSolution "EventReceiverProject.wsp"
7. Install-SPSolution -Identity "EventReceiverProject.wsp" -GACDeployment -CASPolicies
8. You will likely get an message saying admin service needs to run to Install, then just run this command: "stsadm.exe -o execadmsvcjobs"
9. Now to activate the feature, use the following command: stsadm -o activatefeature -n "EventReceiverProject2_Feature1" -url http://win-dtze75zqh6a
I discovered this at the following link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sharepoint2010programming/thread/5b8d6a87-1722-4dd3-af8e-767859291db9
You are done. You can use SharePoint manager to check if you event receiver was correctly attached to your list.
To undeploy, its basically the above steps in reverse :-)
stsadm -o deactivatefeature -n "EventReceiverProject_Feature1" -url http://win-dtze75zqh6a/
Uninstall-SPSolution -Identity "EventReceiverProject.wsp"
Remove-SPSolution -Identity "EventReceiverProject.wsp"